Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Accountable Talk {Student Guides}

I am HUGE on collaborative group work in my classroom!!  I previously taught at at Title I middle school for the past five years and we were given so much information and professional development courses on building academic vocabulary and holding students accountable within a group setting.  

In this past post, I discussed Marzano's steps for building academic vocabulary and discussed the importance of Tier II vocabulary words.  Look at me... I sound like an English teacher!!  BUT I'm not!  I am a math teacher and building vocabulary in ALL content areas is SUPER important :)

This year, I decided to give each students their own copy of accountable talk.  I have seen so many lists of sentence starters and awesome anchor posters created by other teachers, but I wanted all of these to be located in ONE place...AND I wanted to organize them into categories, so that students can find what they are looking for quickly!

Here is the first guide I made...A general Accountable Talk guide for students (and teachers!!).  This can be used in ANY content area, and really any grade level, too :)



Because I teach math, I wanted to have one similar, but geared toward math.  So, here is one geared toward math :)  Again, organized into categories!!

I am planning on having my 8th graders glue these into their Interactive Notebooks for quick reference :)  {Pics to follow shortly!}


I am planning on requiring students to have the accountable talk guides out in front of them for the first few weeks of school, just to get them into the habit of asking critical thinking questions and explaining their reasoning.  I also make sure students have their table tents out as well!

I also spoke about assigning job roles within a collaborative group.  In this post, I gave out wonderful FREEBIES... table tents (with assigned job roles) and a peer evaluation sheet.  I copy each different job role on a different sheet of bright colored paper, and have students display their tents any time they work in collaborative groups.  I do change the groups and jobs quite frequently!




Thanks for reading everyone :)  
And PLEASE if you download, make sure to leave feedback!

No comments:

Post a Comment