Thursday, October 2, 2014

October Currently

Wow!  It's October!! Time certainly does fly :)
 


 
Trick AND a treat!!!
 
My TRICK.....
When having students work in cooperative groups, assign each student a ROLE.  This keeps students engaged, keeps them more on-task, and gives them a sense of belonging :)
 
My TREAT...
 
I have four classroom jobs: facilitator, resource manager, recorder, and reporter.  Here are table tents for each role (includes 4 pages).  I print each role on a different colored sheet of paper and each student receives a role.  I color code them so that when I am standing in the front of the classroom, I know who is responsible for keeping the group on task, who should be making sure everyone is writing, etc..
 
 


I also give each student a team roles mat with all of the team roles.  I do change roles about every 2-3 weeks, so they are familiar with the job!
 


Lastly, at the end of the week, I have student evaluate their group members AND themselves!  This keeps them even more accountable.  If there are ever any issues, I may speak with problematic students individually or keep a close eye on them during cooperative learning.
 
 
 I hope you {LOVE} the team roles freebies and find them to be useful in your classroom :)  I teach 6th and 7th grade math and these work wonders in my middle school classroom!
 
 
Happy October :)
 

3 comments:

  1. October has been hot in Indiana, too! It was 85 today! I want my tall boots back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love fall also but we don't really get to see the fall weather here in Texas either. It was in the 90's again today. Thanks so much for your great freebies! I can't wait to try them.
    Love Teaching Kids

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boo to no fall ! You need to hop in the car & drive somewhere cooler...or at least that's what I keep telling myself down here in Georgia. I am so ready for jeans, sweaters and boots! I hope you find some down-time, and maybe that day-off, too :)

    Kelly
    First Grade Fairytales

    ReplyDelete